Friday, September 4, 2015

Buddy Bench

I thoroughly enjoy having a blog, but a writer I am not.  I tend to stick to the "fun" things like pictures of the house, my kids, family vacations, favorite products, etc.  Today I felt like writing from my heart.  It won't be super deep, so don't worry, but if I'm thinking about it then maybe it's crossed your mind, too. 

BUDDY.  Webster's defines it as: Chum, crony, pal, sidekick.  A close friend who accompanies his buddies in their activities.  I like all those definitions.  At Emme's school they have a "Buddy Bench" on the playground.  Kids sit there when they don't have a friend to play with, and then the other children know to go over there and ask that child to join them.  Is that the coolest concept?  Well, until today, it was a concept.  Until today (to my knowledge) neither one of my kiddos has sat on it.  Until today.  I ate lunch with Emme and was driving away when I saw her sitting on the buddy bench.  Oh man.  My heart jumped to my throat.  I just wanted to jump out of my car, run to her, and tell her it was going to be ok.  But I didn't.  As I was exiting the school, one of the sweet teachers was sitting by her and talking to her.  Thank goodness for our teachers. 

That whole scene got me thinking about how good it is to have a buddy or buddies, and just how much God has blessed me with them.  I have quite a few friends I can call at any time, for any reason, and they'll be there for me.  They have been there for me.  Some I talk to almost everyday, and some I haven't talked to in a while but know we still care for one another.  I think God puts those special people in our lives to make life better.  Lighten our loads in this crazy world.  Listen to us when we need to laugh or cry or just vent about stupid things.  Friends are a gift. 

"A friend loves at all times.  He is there to help when trouble comes." Proverbs 17:17 (NIRV).

I found out later that 3 boys came up to Emme on the buddy bench and asked if she would be their cheerleader while they played football.  She was good with that.  Oh, heaven help us! :-)

My prayer for you is that you always have a buddy bench to sit on when you need it.  If you don't have a good friend, pray for one.  God cares about relationships, and He cares about you.  Also, please pray that your children find great friends who stick close to them and care about them.  It is SO important! 

I hope y'all have a great Labor Day weekend!!!!
XO,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment