Friday, May 23, 2014

Antler love

I am not what you would call outdoorsy.  This will come as no surprise to anyone who has ever spent 10 minutes with me.  However, I do love to look at all that God has created and even like some of those things in my home.  That being said, I love to use antlers to decorate.  The problem is that they are SO expensive, and it is silly to pay for them when I live with someone who eats, breathes, and thinks about deer hunting 24/7.  I mean, we scheduled our wedding around deer season for goodness sake.  Have you ever?  Back to the topic.....Gabe killed a small buck earlier in the season (I just died a little typing that) and said he would save the antlers and mount them for me.  That is true love people.  Here are pictures of the steps and final product.  I have to say that I didn't think about blogging this until after most of the work was complete so I don't have pictures of all the steps, but you'll get the idea.

First, I purchased a "naked" wood plaque from Hobby Lobby for about $2.00.  I love me some Hobby Lobby.  Then, Gabe stained it a dark color.  It will probably take a few coats of stain to get the right color - just fyi.

 
 
My man then cleaned the antlers (I have no idea how he did that, but I'm sure you can google it).  The base of the antlers looked a little nasty so my crafty hubs covered it with burlap and a hot glue gun.  He is going to kill me for writing that.
 


 
 
Lastly, he used the drill to screw the antlers on to the plaque.  Easy peasy...and VERY inexpensive.  Now to decide where to hang it.

No comments:

Post a Comment