Thursday, June 26, 2014

One Year Ago....

As I write the title of this post my mind races in a million different directions.  It was one year ago today that I was diagnosed with cancer.  I can't hardly believe it.  I can see myself at my friend's house (we went along with an already scheduled pool play date) receiving the phone call from Dr. Greer that would change my world.  BREAST CANCER.  So many emotions: scared, confused, in denial, nervous.  So many questions: What happens now? Do I need chemotherapy? Surgery? What will happen to Gabe and the kids during this?  Will I be here to see next year? 

Well, guess what?  I'm still here!  I did need chemo, surgery, radiation and am almost finished with reconstruction, but I'M STILL HERE!!!!!  Gabe and the kids were BEYOND taken care of during all this.  Not only by our amazing family and friends, but more importantly by God's never ending, never failing love.  Looking back on the past year, I can't even count on all my fingers and toes the times that I felt God holding my hand.....sometimes carrying me.  No, I couldn't literally feel it, but I just knew He was.  Still is.

I would be lying if I said that I don't get nervous about the cancer showing up somewhere else in my body.  I do get scared.  However, every time that fear goes through my mind I pray.  I'm so grateful for a God who doesn't go on vacation.  He is always there for me.  For you.  For us. 

That being said, I am not letting that fear take my time away from the present.  I have way too much to live for.  I am having the time of my life.  I love waking up every morning and seeing the sun.  I love watering the flowers I've planted in my backyard.  I love watching my kids play ball. I love family time before bed.  I love washing Gabe's dirty socks.  Well, that might be pushing it.....

If you are going through something tough right now, take heart.  It won't last forever.  My friend wrote on their Facebook page yesterday, "You have to go through the battle to have the victory."  Amen, brother!  I couldn't have said it better myself. 

I don't know what a year from now looks like for me, but none of us can know that.  That's the beauty of not taking a day for granted, and for putting your trust in God. 

You are so loved, dear one.  I hope you know that.  God's mercies are new every single morning.  Don't let a day go by without thanking Him for your blessings.  It seems to make the bad stuff seem not so bad. 

Below are a few pictures from the past year.  I still can't believe I can say that.  Woo-hoo, yee-haw, and butter my biscuits!  We made it!!!!! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't say enough about Gabe.  He has been nothing short of amazing during the entire journey, and I am so glad he picked me to do life with.  I love this guy.  A true knight in shining armor. 


Below is a picture of my last chemo and also what we saw when we came home that day.  I wish I had a million pages and unlimited time to write about the family members and all our friends who have poured into our lives. 





I can't believe I'm posting this, but this is a selfie after surgery and my view for weeks. 





 This is my life.  My world.  What keeps me going every day.  I am more than blessed.  Period.



XO,
Robin


4 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration and Gabe and the kids are so blessed to have you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your story! And I love you! Thanking God and celebrating with you!

    ReplyDelete